There are 10 basic criteria that can help you choose and provide you with the greatest possible certainty that you are entrusting your smile to good hands.
The Cosmetic Dentist you choose must:
- Have the appropriate university training, but also keep up-to-date with new achievements in their field. Cosmetic Dentistry is a field with growing interest, where developments are constant and rapid. This means that scientific publications, participation and attendance of conferences and seminars, continuous and on-going training should hold an important position in the Cosmetic Dentist’s time.
- Have a representative portfolio, with samples of their work. This way you can see characteristic photographs of patients, before and after the Cosmetic Dentist’s intervention.
- If possible, have proven testimonials by other patients. These testimonials are important, because, besides from the result of the intervention, they provide a direct and clear picture regarding the method of work, which should be methodical and flexible, and can also offer an insight into the Cosmetic Dentist’s personality, who must, in any case, serve their profession flawlessly.
- Devote the necessary time in order to understand each patient’s expectations, discuss their feasibility, answer any questions, and provide solutions based on these. Each of us has formed a desired image of ourselves and our smile and this takes top priority compared to the expectations of the Cosmetic Dentist.
- Be able to present alternative solutions depending on the expectations, the requirements and the budget you can afford.
- Be able to create a picture of the final result and present it to you, before commencing the treatment. This way, the result will be predictable and specific, both for you and the dentist. This can be achieved by means such as diagnostic wax up, digital imaging, and mock up.
- Provide a time schedule for their work, where the individual stages and the total time for the treatment can be anticipated.
- Begin with a full dental check-up, as well as by taking a number of photographs and x-rays, in order to avoid unpleasant surprises.
- Have a high aesthetic standard. How could you possibly trust somebody whose general sense of aesthetics does not satisfy you? So check if your doctor pays attention to detail and examine the aesthetics and cleanliness of the dentist’s practice. And, of course, pay attention to the smiles of the dentist them self and their practice staff.
- Be able to provide guarantees for their work. A guarantee could be the possibility to repeat a step of the work for free, in case of any problem (within a 1-2 year time span), offering free re-checks and any other assurances, on the part of the Cosmetic Dentist, that make you feel even greater certainty about your choice.